I wish I was a nice wee cat with a large selection of cardboard boxes at my disposal, then life would be perfect.
Favourite bit of my walk home, even if it’s raining. I just like hiding under trees.
Just FYI every time you guys go on about this Jon Snow character I picture Jon Snow the elderly news castor.
You all fancy an elderly man.
So for part of my twentieth century literature course we are studying Mrs Dalloway by Virginia Woolf. I was doing reserch today for it and SUDDENLY it hit me.
There is a character called Septimus Smith who survived World War One, however it is apparent that he has been irreversibly damaged by it. He does not appreciate the beauty of the world, or even his own existence since the loss of his closest friend Evans right at the end of the war.
My epiphany is that Septimus Smith was JK Rowling’s inspiration for Severus Snape and that the character of ‘Evans’ is in some way a representation of Lily. Here is my reasoning in bullet points (because I love bullet points):
- The similarity of the names for one thing Septimus/Severus Smith/Snape, also in a way I was reminded of the spell ‘Sectumsempra’ that Harry found in Snape’s potion book
- The physical description of his character, Smith is described as being ‘pale’ and ‘beak-nose’ much like Snape
- Smith surviving World War One mirrors Snape’s survival of Voldemort’s first rise to power
- Smith lost his Evans right at the end of the war, Lily was the last of Voldemort’s victims before the ‘baby Harry’ incident
- The relationship between Smith and Evans reminds me very much of Snape and Lily’s before they began Hogwarts - “They had to be together, share with each other, fight with each other, quarrel with each other” Snape was devoted to Lily as Smith was to Evans
- Obviously the second name ‘Evans’ (Lily’s maiden name before marrying James Potter
- Both Snape and Smith cannot see the point in life after Lily and Evans died
- And both are characters are constanly haunted by their memories of their loved ones
I am going to write a letter to JK Rowling and ask.
(Sorry if you don’t find this interesting but I love stuff like this)
Just got drenched by a bus Bridget Jones style. I am making puddles in the library. Hold me.
Just smacked my head off the coffee table because of stupid dizzyness that won’t go away.
Body, you suck. You sucks ASS.